- ÍtemEmbargoAnálisis post-sismo en viviendas del cantón Azogues – Ecuador.(Universidad Católica de Cuenca., 2023) Rojas Mendez, Kevin Emmanuel; Nieto Cárdenas , Jaime Xavier; 0302563358; .This study was performed in houses in the Azogues canton in response to the earthquake in Ecuador on March 18, 2023. The research involved the analysis of at least 20 houses or buildings to accomplish a post-earthquake analysis of structural and non-structural elements. In addition, this research aims to propose measures to repair and prevent the most commonly identified damages. A standardized form was used to conduct the on-site analysis, photographs, and crack measurements were taken, the elements found were schematized, and the corresponding data were tabulated. The results of the analysis revealed that several houses present only non-structural damage. As for the other houses, failures were due to a combination of factors, including deficiencies such as construction processes and lack of maintenance.
- ÍtemEmbargoAnálisis y aplicación de la mezcla de hormigón con poliestireno expandido en detalles constructivos (mesones de cocina)(Universidad Católica de Cuenca., 2023) Macancela Correa , Alex Javier; Illescas Cárdenas, Paúl Esteban; 0302702956; ., .This research focuses on examining the combination of concrete and expanded polystyrene. This specific mixture contributes to achieving a considerably lighter structure. In addition, its physical-mechanical characteristics are highlighted, providing adequate compressive, shear, tensile, and flexural strength and good elasticity. For the project, concrete cylinders were manufactured, mixing different percentages of polystyrene (5%, 10%, 20%, 25%, and 50%) to replace the fine aggregate, testing the strength ranges that this type of concrete must meet according to ASTM C-330. According to the results of the tabulated tests, following the procedures established by the ASTM C78 and ASTM C39 standards, the mix that was taken complies with the flexural strength ranges between 5.94 Mpa, and 15.37 Mpa, and has a lower weight than the usual concrete dosage. In this case, the mix within the range issued by the UNE-EN 12372 standard, meeting the mentioned criteria and having a lighter weight than other mixes, is concrete with 50% polystyrene. This mix will produce prefabricated slabs employed as kitchen countertops, forming part of a construction detail for any social housing, and could be used instead of granite.
- ÍtemEmbargoEvaluación de la red de distribución de agua potable en la ciudadela “Banco de la Vivienda”(Universidad Católica de Cuenca., 2023) Quinteros Altamirano, Frank Josué; Quevedo Pesantez , Fausto David; 0302118450; ., .The distribution of drinking water is a vital activity for the sustenance and development of communities, so it is essential to evaluate these systems since there are factors that can cause problems in their operation. In the “Banco de la Vivienda” neighborhood, there is irregular drinking water service since the supply frequently arrives with extremely low or excessively high pressures, and even with water outages for long periods of time, preventing users from carry out their activities normally. In this project, the distribution network was evaluated based on surveys conducted among the neighborhood’s inhabitants, obtaining information about the problems and the dissatisfaction it generates. Data was recorded using pressure gauges in the houses of the urbanization, capturing its distribution in pressure maps made in ArcGIS, focusing on the hours when pressures exceed the recommended limits. Subsequently, a hydraulic model of the network was created, using EPANET, to obtain theoretical pressures and compare them with the registered pressures, taking the National Water Secretariat (SENAGUA by its Spanish acronym) regulations as a reference. It was determined that the distribution network presents inconsistencies and possible damage since, in specific nodes, there are pressures of 0 mWC and others that reach 73 mWC, exceeding the maximum and minimum pressure threshold and failing to comply with design regulations. Solutions and recommendations were also suggested that can be applied to optimize the operation of the network and provide a better service to the community.
- ÍtemEmbargoUso de plásticos reciclados en remplazo de agregados finos para la fabricación de hormigón estructural y su aplicación en el cantón Azogues.(Universidad Católica de Cuenca., 2023) Aulestia Pesántez, Milton Adrian; Illescas Cárdenas, Paúl Esteban; 0302196274; .Deficiencies in solid waste management, especially plastics, constitute a significant problem for natural ecosystems and public health. In response to this issue, recycling emerges as an alternative to the conflict, providing added value to waste. Therefore, this research describes the potential application of crushed recycled plastics to replace a percentage of stone aggregates in the production of concrete with designs of 180, 210, and 240 kg/cm2, using plastic percentages of 5 and 10% for each mix, defining their compliance range according to the Ecuadorian Technical Standard (NTE by its Spanish acronym). The evolution of sample strengths over time is reported, with the results show that the 240 kg/cm2 sample, designed with 10% and 5% plastic aggregates, showed a decrease in strength compared to the control specimen. The same occurred with the 210 kg/cm2 and 180 kg/cm2 sample. In general, numerical terms, the differences in strengths at 28 days, on average, have decreased by 30.43% in samples with 10% plastic incorporation instead of sand, while samples with 5% plastic incorporation show a 13.14% decrease in strength. This establishes a basis that supports the notion of an unsuccessful use of this material to achieve a higher degree of resistance in structural elements.
- ÍtemEmbargoRehabilitación estructural de edificaciones patrimoniales. Caso de estudio edificación en el centro histórico de Cuenca.(Universidad Católica de Cuenca., 2023) Lema Lema, Milton Javier; Zhumi Sucuzhañay, Luis Santiago; Urgiles Rojas , Juan Diego; 0302640461; 0302417605; .This document focuses on analyzing the structural behavior of a building located in the historic center of the city of Cuenca, characterized by the use of various construction materials such as wattle and daub, wood, adobe, and brick. Through visual inspection, different pathologies have been identified. Most of these dysfunctions are attributable to prolonged exposure to adverse weather conditions and the lack of maintenance that the construction components have experienced over time. In a more detailed context, tests were conducted to determine the physical and mechanical properties of the elements that comprise the building, which has permitted a comprehensive assessment of the state of conservation of materials and their composition. Within this framework, nonlinear pushover analysis was implemented as an essential tool for assessing structural behavior and ensuring occupational safety. Finally, some suggestions are made for intervention in walls using materials compatible with the building, such as geogrids or wooden staples, to improve resistance and stability.